To aid in the quest for meaning in life I often look to books for Words of Wisdom. Initially I wanted this blog to be a forum for me to discuss books that I have read or are reading. This page will give me a chance to get my geek on representing some of my favorite authors. The following books and graphic novels have left an impression on me through perspectives that challenged my understanding of the world and will guaranteed provide the same change in you…
1) American Gods by Neil Gaiman - This book was my introduction to Gaiman’s writing and man was it good. He makes folklore relevant by creating an epic, twist filled and salacious novel that literally cannot be put down until finished.
2) Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse – Warning…Reading this book will literally change the way your introspective thoughts come together. At times you will feel a bond with the main character that will roller coaster to pity and back to deep understanding.
3) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas – This novel was my first attempt to read old literature outside of school and I was far from disappointed. In my opinion the greatest revenge story ever told, the themes translate really well even today.
1) The Lost City of Z by David Grann – I always wanted to be an explorer but instead settled for reading about them. The narrative in this book, however, will make you feel like you are in the jungle next to Percy Fawcett on the quest of a lifetime.
2) The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan – The topics range from evolution to religion to extraterrestrial intelligence. He speaks in a very easy to understand way that make these otherwise complicated topics very accessible.
3) The Cosmic Serpent by Jeremy Narby – Another adventure book for the list except this one delves into preconceived notions of tribal rituals and how ancient cultures had insight to molecular knowledge far before our current civilization.